Sign in

Working in the UK during your studies

Information for international students

International students with Tier 4 (General) visas can work, subject to certain restrictions.

If your course is below degree level, your visa should allow you to work a maximum of ten hours per week in term-time, and full-time in vacations. If your course is at degree level or above, your visa should allow you to work a maximum of 20 hours per week in term-time, and full-time in vacations, except in the case of an agreed work placement which forms part of your course.

Masters students on taught programmes of 12 months are not deemed to be 'on vacation' over the summer until they have submitted their final project and should therefore restrict their hours of work to 20 or less during this period.

Holders of Tier 4 visas may not: fill a full-time, permanent vacancy, be self-employed, or take employment as a doctor or dentist in training (unless participating in a recognised foundation programme) a sportsperson (including a sports coach), or an entertainer.

Get more detailed information from the UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) website

If you entered the UK as a Student Visitor you will not be allowed to work whilst you are in the UK with this immigration status.

Warning: It is a criminal offence to breach your immigration conditions.

If you are unsure whether your visa permits you to take a particular job or have any other queries relating to employment regulations for international students then please contact the International Advice Team at

Page last updated on Tuesday 10 July 2018 at 10.33am.


Change font size

Change colours

Text Only

Accessibility on the Portal

Cookies and Southampton Solent University

We need to place cookies on your computer to ensure your browsing experience with us is enhanced.

Please continue browsing as normal if you are happy for cookies to be placed on your computer.

Find out how these cookies are used and how to change your settings

Hide this message