Sign in

EU students and work

Information for EU students

European Economic Area (EEA) member states:

If you are a national of one of the full EEA member states (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, the Republic of Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom) or Switzerland, you do not currently need permission to work in the UK and there are no restrictions on the number of hours you can work. If you are from Croatia please see our page 'Information for students from Croatia' for information about how many hours you can work and what you need to do to access the labour market.

Do I need to register to stay in the UK?

You are entitled to enter the UK freely and have an automatic right of residence for up to three months without needing to demonstrate that you are exercising a right of free movement, for example, to study or work. Once you have been accepted on a course of study, you have the right of residence in the UK for as long as your course lasts. If you wish you can apply for an EU residence permit to prove your right to live in the UK as an EU citizen. This costs £65.00 but may be useful to obtain so that you can prove your lawful residence in the future, if required to do so. You can read more about this at  




Page last updated on Wednesday 26 October 2016 at 11.51am.


Change font size

Change colours

Graphics Version

Accessibility on the Portal

Cookies and Southampton Solent University

We need to place cookies on your computer to ensure your browsing experience with us is enhanced.

Please continue browsing as normal if you are happy for cookies to be placed on your computer.

Find out how these cookies are used and how to change your settings

Hide this message