Sign in

Registering with the police

If you come from one of the following countries and your Tier 4 immigration permission is for more than six months then the requirement to register with the police should be endorsed on your one-month entry vignette (visa) and on your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

  • Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan.
  • Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil.
  • China, Colombia, Cuba.
  • Egypt.
  • Georgia.
  • Hong Kong (SAR).
  • Iran, Iraq, Israel.
  • Jordan.
  • Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait.
  • Lebanon, Libya.
  • Moldova, Morocco.
  • North Korea.
  • Oman.
  • Palestine, Peru.
  • Qatar.
  • Russia.
  • Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria.
  • Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan.
  • United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan.
  • Yemen.

How to register

We created a podcast explaining the Police Registration Process. It will guide you through the requirements and the process of application for a new police registration, you should watch this podcast before coming to International Support drop in session, as it may answer immediately any queries you might have.

We may assist you with getting an appointment allocated for the police registration if none is available on-line as advised in the podcast. If you wish to get our assistance  you automatically agree with our Police Registration Privacy Notice. You can opt out from this service by emailing us on

You can request an appointment on-line on to register with the Nationalities Office in Winchester. It is important that you select the Hampshire Registration – Winchester Nationalities Office – Tower Street, Winchester SO23 8ZD, as the venue from the drop down list. This is the only centre in Hampshire you can register with the Police.

We have Alternatively open the pdf file with a step–by– step instruction guiding you through the new registration process.

Getting to the police station in Winchester

The Nationalities Office in Winchester is located at:

Hampshire Constabulary,
Tower street,
Hampshire, SO23 8ZD.

Winchester is approximately 12 miles from Southampton and is easily accessible by car (road), train and bus.

If you are travelling by public transport (bus or train) then you will need to take a train or a bus (Bluestar number 1) to Winchester. When you get on to the bus you should ask for a ticket to Winchester City Centre.

Appointments are usually available Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm. 

There are number of offices available, please check your appointment room number on your booking confirmation email prior to arrival.

Please note that (exceptionally) students may live in another county (geographical district) and commute to the University. If you are required to register with the Police but do not live in Hampshire, you will need to register with the Nationalities Office responsible for the county where you live.

Please seek advice from the International Advice Service in Student Hub if you are not sure where this is. 

What to take with you

It is very important that you provide the police with the correct documents. If you do not then they may not be able to  register you:

  • Passport and BRP.
  • Proof of Solent University student status. You can request a letter from Student Hub by emailing: It may take up to 4 days to have one produced.
  • Proof of address
  • Credit or debit card to pay the £34 registration fee

Reporting changes

Once you have registered it is your responsibility to report to the Police any of the following changes of circumstances, :

  • Change of address.
  • Change of university.
  • Change of marital status or birth of children.
  • Extensions to your Tier 4 immigration permission or change of immigration status.
  • Change of passport.
  • Temporary absence of eight weeks or more from registered address.

Changes of circumstances should be reported to your local police station within 7 days

If you need to update your police registration certificate with any of the changes you must visit Southampton police station to do so.

Southampton Central Police Station
Southern Road
SO15 1AN

You do not need an appointment to update to Your Police Registration Certificate. But you will need to present a proof of a change i.e. new visa or tenancy agreement (for change of address).

Leaving the UK do I need to inform Nationalities Office?

If you are leaving the UK for more than 2 months or you are leaving permanently, you must report this to the Police. You can do it in person at any police station or you can simply email with the following information:

• Your full name,

• Police Registration Certificate number,

• The date you are leaving and approximate date of return, or confirmation when you are leaving the UK permanently.

More information

Your Police Registration Certificate must be kept up to date. It is a criminal offence if you do not register your new details with the Police; this could result in a £5000 fine and/or imprisonment. If you need to extend your Tier 4 visa whilst in the UK then you will be required to send your Police Registration Certificate and your passport to UKVI/the Home Office. If the Certificate has not been updated, then your Tier 4 visa application may be rejected. If you are in any doubt about whether you need to register, and what you need to do, you should contact the international advice service.



Page last updated on Wednesday 20 November 2019 at 3.09pm.


Change font size

Change colours

Graphics Version

Accessibility on the Portal

Cookies and Southampton Solent University

We need to place cookies on your computer to ensure your browsing experience with us is enhanced.

Please continue browsing as normal if you are happy for cookies to be placed on your computer.

Find out how these cookies are used and how to change your settings

Hide this message