Sign in

EU Settlement Scheme and how to apply

EU citizens wishing to remain in the UK beyond 31 December 2020, in line with the draft Withdrawal Agreement, will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme by 30 June 2021.

The EU Settlement Scheme has been tested since summer 2018 and ahead of the opening on 30 March 2019. From 21 January 2019 students who are EU nationals and hold a valid biometric passport are able to apply under the settlement scheme as part of the next phase of testing.

International Advice team held information sessions for EU students interested in learning more about the EU Settlement Scheme on Wednesday 6 February and recording from the presentation is available for you to watch here:

Citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland

The government have also confirmed a deal on citizens’ rights which will allow citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

How to apply

Applicants are required to prove their identity by using the EU Exit: Identity Document Check app, which is part of the integrated online application process. The app is currently available for use on android devices, and apple from  version 7 upwards at the moment.

If you do not have an android device and you are eligible to apply for settled status during the pilot phase, you can either use a device belonging to your friend or make an appointment at Southampton City Council where they will scan and verify your ID documents for you for a fee. Further details can be found on their website.

Requesting letter proving your study at Solent University

If you require to submit additional documents proving your residence in the UK during the study at Solent University you can request the following letters to be issued to you by:

  • Current students - request To Whom It May Concern letter
  • Alumni – request reference letter

Requests should be made to, from your university email address (if not possible quote your student ID number).

If you were absent from the UK on exchange or study abroad programme you can request a letter confirming your study abroad by emailing: .

Further information and updates

In our online presentation we refer to the following websites for further information and guidance:

Home Office mailing list

UK Council for International Student Affairs website

Government Website

EU Settlement Resolution Centre (government helpline)

Evidence of UK residence

EU Settled Status Application Scheme (walk-through video 20 minutes):

Free movement website 

Seraphus website

Page last updated on Wednesday 23 October 2019 at 2.32pm.


Change font size

Change colours

Graphics Version

Accessibility on the Portal

Cookies and Southampton Solent University

We need to place cookies on your computer to ensure your browsing experience with us is enhanced.

Please continue browsing as normal if you are happy for cookies to be placed on your computer.

Find out how these cookies are used and how to change your settings

Hide this message