Sign in

Information for students from Croatia

Working in the UK during your studies 

If you are a Croatian student you will need to apply for and obtain evidence of your right to work in the UK.

Do students from Croatia have permission to work in the UK?

Yes - Croatian nationals who come to the UK to study are allowed to work in the UK.  However you must obtain a yellow registration certificate before you start work. 

This certificate will give you permission to work for up to 20 hours a week during term-time and full-time (for an unrestricted number of hours) during vacation periods. Once you have your yellow registration certificate, you can apply for your National Insurance number. The yellow card normally expires four months after the course end date.

How do I apply for my yellow registration certificate?

To apply for your yellow registration certificate you need to complete the CR1 form and send it to the Home Office with the required documentation.

Where can I get the CR1 form from?

You can download the form from

Do I need to complete all sections of the CR1 form?

Students only need to complete the following sections of the form: 1, 2, 3, 5, 9 and 10.

What documentary evidence do I need to include?

  • A letter from Southampton Solent University confirming your enrolment and the completion date of the course.

  • Proof that you have sufficient funds. This should take the form of at least one bank statement.  If a friend, relative or parent is assisting you financially, then you will need a letter from them confirming they are supporting you together with bank statements showing they can afford to do so.  The bank statements should be as recent as possible.  There are no guidelines that specify how much the statement should show you have, but approximately £820 per month is the figure the Home Office requires international students to have when applying for a visa.

  • If you are receiving any grants or scholarships you need to provide a letter to prove this.

  • If you are being sponsored then you need to provide a letter from your sponsor saying that they are sponsoring you.

  • Two recent passport-size photos of yourself.  You must write your name on the back of each photograph.

  • Your current passport
    ID card.
  • Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC);
    If you decide to use your EHIC as comprehensive sickness cover you will also need to send a 'statement of intent' confirming that you intend to stay in the UK on a temporary basis until you complete your course. Entitlement to the National Health Service is not sufficient as evidence. The EHIC card must have been issued by a member state other than the UK. Make sure you apply for this before you arrive in the UK.
    Private medical insurance;
    To obtain private medical insurance you must have been resident in the UK for a period of time (check this with the insurance company as this can differ for each insurer and some do not cover non-UK residents at all).

It is important that you send all required documents or your application will not be considered.  You must send original versions of all required documents.

Can I still access healthcare services whilst my European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is with the Home Office?

Yes you can as most surgeries will not ask to see your EHIC card. However there may be occasions when this is required, for example, if you are referred for an ongoing course of treatment requiring referral to a specialist. In this case, we would request that your EHIC card is returned but this could take time.

We recommend that you take your EHIC card to your local doctor's surgery and tell them that you'll be without it for a few months. They may then take a copy for their records. The other option is to request a certified copy of the EHIC card from a solicitor. You would have to pay for this but you could then keep hold of your EHIC card and send the certified copy to the Home Office.

Is there someone who I can ask for help in completing the CR1 form?

Yes. The international advice team based in the Student Hub can check your form for you and make sure you have included the correct documents before you post your application.

Will I be charged a fee for my yellow registration certificate application?

There is a charge/fee of £65 per applicant. The application fee is non-refundable and must be paid at the time of application.

Where do I send my application to?

Your completed application and documents should be sent by post to:

Home Office - Croatian Applications
PO Box 638

We recommend that you send your application by special delivery.

You must keep the special delivery number - this is so that the Home Office can find your application if you need your documents back or if you change address.

How long will it take to get my yellow registration certificate?

There are no published service standards for these applications but you should allow around six months.

You can contact UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) with questions about your application or registration certificates.


Include your:

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Application reference number if you have one

You should get a reply within five days.

You should not make travel plans after you have made your application and submitted your travel documents, as the Home Office cannot guarantee that they will be able to return your documents by a specific date.

Will my documents be returned?

The Home Office can return your documents if you need them urgently but will withdraw your application to do so. If you resubmit your application within 30 days of them being returned to you they will return your application to its original place in their work queue.

You can ask for your passport and other documents to be returned if you’ve sent them with your application but need them urgently.

Send an email to:


  • Your name.
  • Your date of birth.
  • Your nationality.
  • The application form type.
  • The date you posted the application.
  • The Royal Mail delivery reference.

How do I apply for a National Insurance number?

Please see our 'working in the UK' pages for further information on how to get a National Insurance number:

How do I get a national insurance number?

Working in the UK after your studies (Croatian nationals)

You should get a blue registration certificate if you want to work for a UK employer and you have one of the following from a UK educational institution:

  • A degree.
  • A teaching qualification.
  • A Higher National Diploma.
  • An endorsement from an approved organisation.

Find out more information on

Page last updated on Friday 20 November 2015 at 10.01am.


Change font size

Change colours

Text Only

Accessibility on the Portal

Cookies and Southampton Solent University

We need to place cookies on your computer to ensure your browsing experience with us is enhanced.

Please continue browsing as normal if you are happy for cookies to be placed on your computer.

Find out how these cookies are used and how to change your settings

Hide this message