Sign in

Hospitality services

Solent University has a variety of innovative conference, meeting and event space across its estate in the city centre, Warsash Maritime Academy and at our satellite sites. These spaces are available for internal staff members to hire for appropriate meetings, events or other occasions. This includes student-led activities, final year projects and VIP events.

Graduation Dinner (002)

What is considered an ‘event’?

If your activity meets the criteria below then it is classed as an event and you must contact the conference and events team on 02382 015757 or to discuss space availability. They are responsible for booking and managing the space within both the Solent Conference Centre and shared spaces in the Spark building. They are also responsible for many events that take place elsewhere on campus, including buildings such as John Millais, Michael Andrews, Sir James Matthews and satellite sites Test Park, Warsash Maritime Academy and Below Bar Studios.

  1. A gathering which involves large numbers of internal and/or external participants.
  2. Invitees included guests considered to be university VIPs or stakeholders.
  3. Requires the joint planning of a number of managed services including facilities assistance, audio visual/ICT, catering, cleaning, security etc.
  4. May require the knowledge of some or all of the University experts in fire prevention, health and safety, security, estates helpdesk, facilities assistance, access, waste control, alcohol and entertainment licensing, equality and specific attention if hazardous elements involved.
  5. Requires the specific attention of staff either seconded from the academic or service or from various events teams in the University to project manage the various elements.
  6. Activity which could either enhance or affect the reputation of the University.
  7. Activity considered as major events on campus e.g. Induction, Graduation, Student Degree Shows, launches, celebrations, conferences.
  8. Requires a bespoke catering menu, suppy and sale of alcohol, use of a cash bar.
  9. Activity which may attract press attention.

All events on campus are subject to a Risk Assessment and must be completed by the organiser and submitted to Your event will remain tentative until this is reviewed and approved.

The team are specialist event organisers with vast experience and training in delivering all types of events so their job is to work closely with you to coordinate and support all aspects of the event to ensure it is managed safely, successfully and without risk of damage to the University’s reputation or venue licensing. For information about hosting an event, please visit their dedicated Solent Conference Centre page.

Please note: Hospitality orders are prohibited in Spark classrooms or lecture theatres. Therefore an alternative room/space must be booked with the conference and events team or with TAR for any other building.  Cash or university hospitality cards can be used to purchase items from the East Park Deli and taken into a classroom, however it is your responsibility to remove any rubbish.

Standard Meeting.2

What is considered a ‘standard meeting’?

If your activity meets the criteria below then it is classed as a standard meeting and you must book rooms using the timetabling and academic rooming portal app (except those in the conference centre). If you require catering for any building except the Spark, please order online using the hospitality ordering portal app.

  1. Requires the booking of a meeting room in which to meet and discuss a topic on campus
  2. Requires basic/standard AV and ICT as provided in a standard meeting room with no assistance
  3. Requires simple refreshments or lunch
  4. No room set ups are required, meeting room tables and chairs will suffice
  5. Requires no involvement from the University’s facilities assistance, audio visual/ICT, catering, cleaning, security teams etc
  6. No alcohol is being supplied or sold
  7. No VIPs, stakeholders or external guests are in attendance
  8. Does not pose any risk to university reputation or attract press attention
  9. No special requests are required from any supporting services

Apply for a university hospitality card

Schools and services are also entitled to apply for a university hospitality card. The primary purpose of this card is to provide internal staff with access to purchase a small number of beverages or lunches from the catering outlets for external guests or visitors rather than booking refreshments in a room.

The cards are issued to schools and services, and not to individual staff members, upon authorisation from a dean or director of service.  A record of all purchases and copy of receipts must be retained for audit purposes.

To apply for a hospitality card please email to Please note that cards can take up to 14 days to administer so please allow this time for your requests.


Page last updated on Tuesday 18 September 2018 at 9.59am.


Change font size

Change colours

Graphics Version

Accessibility on the Portal

Cookies and Southampton Solent University

We need to place cookies on your computer to ensure your browsing experience with us is enhanced.

Please continue browsing as normal if you are happy for cookies to be placed on your computer.

Find out how these cookies are used and how to change your settings

Hide this message