Sign in

Insurance for Placements

Liability Insurance

Insurers provide cover for businesses’ legal liabilities by issuing:

  • Employers Liability – this covers employers for negligent injury or disease to people they employ; and
  • Public Liability – this covers businesses for negligent injury, disease or damage to people they do not employ, for example visitors.

Wordings and the requirement for compulsory insurance varies from country to country. It is very important that you check that your Placement Provider has adequate liability insurance in place to cover you whilst on your placement. For guidance on liability insurance for UK and overseas placements, please refer to the link below:

Liability insurance for placements

Travel and emergency medical insurance 

The University’s travel insurance policy provides comprehensive travel and emergency medical assistance for students undertaking overseas placements of up to one year. To ensure that you will be covered under Solent's policy, please refer to the link below:

Travel insurance for overseas placements

If you are a UK resident, are registered with a GP practice and/or have a UK National Insurance number then emergency medical treatment is provided under the NHS and you do not need additional medical insurance.  Overseas non-resident students from countries within the EEA will need an EHIC.  Non EEA students on a UK placement should either be registered to receive NHS treatment or have taken out appropriate medical insurance prior to their arrival at the University. 

Page last updated on Thursday 10 August 2017 at 2.10pm.


Change font size

Change colours

Graphics Version

Accessibility on the Portal

Cookies and Southampton Solent University

We need to place cookies on your computer to ensure your browsing experience with us is enhanced.

Please continue browsing as normal if you are happy for cookies to be placed on your computer.

Find out how these cookies are used and how to change your settings

Hide this message