Sign in

Council tax

As a student you're automatically exempt from council tax and if you live in student residences then you don't need to do anything to claim this exemption.

Private accommodation

If you live in private accommodation then you'll need to get an exemption form to show to your landlord. Full-time students are only exempt from paying council tax if they prove their exemption. You can get an exemption certificate from the Student Hub.

If everyone in the house is a full-time student, the house will not be liable. If one person is not exempt, the house is liable (although a discount applies). If more than one person is not exempt, the house is liable for the full amount.

If you are in a joint-tenancy and the property is liable for council tax, all occupiers of the house may be pursued for the money, and don't forget - the bigger the property, the larger the bill will be.

If you have any problems regarding your council tax, visit or contact:

The Student Hub

Page last updated on Thursday 13 September 2018 at 9.25am.


Change font size

Change colours

Graphics Version

Accessibility on the Portal

Cookies and Southampton Solent University

We need to place cookies on your computer to ensure your browsing experience with us is enhanced.

Please continue browsing as normal if you are happy for cookies to be placed on your computer.

Find out how these cookies are used and how to change your settings

Hide this message